Top GNOME Shell Extensions for Oracle Linux.
Date: Mar 6, 2019
Last Updated: Mar 6, 2019
Tags: GNOME Shell Extensions, Oracle Linux, Desktop Environment
I have been using Oracle Linux as my work Desktop PC for more than 5 years and I have found the following GNOME Shell Extensions to be a must for me. In order to manage these GNOME Shell Extensions, Oracle Linux comes pre-installed with GNOME Tweak Tool. If you install too many extensions then GNOME GUI can become unstable. It is recommended to only install and enable the ones that you absolutely need.
- Applications menu: Adds a category-based menu for applications.
- Places Status Indicator: Comes pre-installed. Cannot be removed, but can be disabled. Adds a menu for quickly navigating places in the system.
- Datetime Format:
Allows users to customize the datetime format on the status bar and date menu. I use the following format:
%a, %d %b %G, %I:%M %p
- OpenWeather: Weather extension to display weather information from https://openweathermap.org/ or https://darksky.net for almost all locations in the world.
- TopIcons Shows legacy tray icons on top. Oracle Linux 7.x comes with "Top Icons" pre-installed. However this is not same as "Top Icons". TopIcons seems to be the newer and more stable version.
- Clipboard Indicator: Clipboard Manager extension for Gnome-Shell - Adds a clipboard indicator to the top panel, and caches clipboard history.
- Lock Keys Shows Numlock & Capslock status on the panel.
- No title bar: No Title Bar removes the title bar, moves the window title and buttons to the top panel.
- Dash to Dock A dock for the Gnome Shell. This extension moves the dash out of the overview transforming it in a dock for an easier launching of applications and a faster switching between windows and desktops. Side and bottom placement options are available.
- Alternatetab: Comes pre-installed. Cannot be removed, but can be disabled. Substitutes Alt-Tab with a window based switcher that does not group by application.
- Launch new instance: Allows you to always launch a new instance when clicking in the dash or the application view.
- No Topleft Hot Corner This extension disables the top left hot corners. You can still click on Activities or press the dedicated key to reach the overview.